My kids never cease to amaze me. Just when I think life couldn't get any more interesting/stressful/hectic/insert any adjective here, they throw me a curve ball. Usually it's Ryan doing the pitching and believe me, that kid has quite an arm.
Here's an idea of what I'm talking about...
Date: Last Week
Time: Just before Lunch
Setting: Kids outside playing; Katie napping. Me upstairs on phone, gathering laundry. Insert door slamming and eldest child hysterically crying. I try my best to hurry downstairs, but it's hard to hurry when you still have stitches and need to take the stairs S-L-O-W-L-Y, one at a time. I arrive in the kitchen to find Ryan with a mouth full of blood. GREAT. Not only is he injured, but it involves blood - not my favorite thing to deal with. He says his friend kicked him in the mouth (purely accidental). I ask him to open up and the look on my face brought on the hysterics. Insert "I love you Mommy", a phrase Ryan has adopted when he thinks he is either dying or going to the ER. I assure him neither of the two will be taking place today, thankyouverymuch, and try to grasp what it is I am looking at. Upon asking my friend & neighbor to come look, I realize that Ryan has lost his first tooth (DISCLAIMER: both bottom teeth were very loose prior to the unfortunate kicking incident).
Upon hearing that, he wails ever louder and tells me he spit it out in the yard unknowingly. So for the next 30 minutes, we all scoured the back yard on our hands and knees looking for the teeny, tiny tooth, all while I tried to calm him and reassure him that the Tooth Fairy will still visit even if there isn't a tooth to put under the pillow. The TF knows, I said. We'll write her a note, I promised. As you may have guessed, we didn't find the tooth. But as luck would have it, the second tooth was also knocked loose(r) and was doing it's best rendition of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and turning a fun grey color. Byron came home from work, took one look and yanked that sucker out in no time. HORRAY, we had a tooth for the Tooth Fairy! So what started out as a stressful day, turned into a big milestone for Ryan and also turned him a nice profit, lucky kid.

No comments:
Post a Comment