We are back from our trip and had a great time!!! The hotel was fantastic, the water was amazing and I spent about 75% of my time by the pool. With no kids!!! The sun is intense but with the heavy winds, you didn't notice as much until it was too late. When we left yesterday there was barely a wind and it was HOT! We met some great people and just enjoyed hanging out. Byron golfed, we swam with the dolphins, bartered in the markets and hung around at our leisure!
The kids did great without us - thank you Aunt Janet, Uncle Adam, Grandmom, Pop and Uncle Eric! Ryan surprised us with learning to ride a 2 wheel bike while we were gone (thank you Glenn!) and had fun playing with AJ! Emma told us she was cranky and naughty and cried at Ryan's tball game... clearly just another day for her!
We are refreshed and tan and happy to be back home! I think the kids are happy too - they are still hugging us!
________________________________________________
THINGS I LEARNED IN MEXICO...
1. The sun is hot. You will burn just sitting under an umbrella. In 4 days I used more sunscreen than I use on my kids in a summer and we go to the pool daily. Sunburn on your armpits hurts. A lot.
2. I am not a strong swimmer (this I knew). Playing in the ocean with 10 ft. waves is more than I can handle, no matter how much I run on the treadmill.
3. In the US, I am a Ma'am. In Mexico, I am a Lady. Hey Lady, come to my store! Hey Lady, you want braids? Hey Lady, no pictures!
4. Just because the restaurant says Johnny Rockets does not make it the same. You are in an airport. In another country. They can call it beef but it doesn't always taste like beef. Bring on the stomach cramps!
5. Ativan is nice. It makes me a better flyer. Sorry JetRock, you just lost a good paying customer.
6. A lost wallet is never a good thing... especially in Mexico.
6a. All calls from Mexico cost a small fortune per minute. There is no such thing as a 'toll free'
call from Mexico even to major credit card companies. They are considered collect at a rate
of 'you owe us your first born' per minute.
7. Sometime after crossing the border mid-air, my cell phone customer service switched over to Spanish. See #6a above.
8. The water is the most amazing color of blue I have ever seen and I have yet to understand that phenomenon.
9. It doesn't matter what country you are in, a party is a party, a bar is a bar and a club is a club. They are all the same and they are all a good time!
10. Everyone in town is happy to exchange your US currency for pesos. NO ONE wants to exchange it back.
11. Dolphins are amazing! They are gentle and their skin is smooth and they are really, really cute... and strong!
12. I like a good opportunity to barter. It may be time to go car shopping!
13. A massage is a massage is a massage, no matter what soil you are on. A chocolate massage is indeed sweet and relaxing!
14. Weather.com is wrong. The forecast called for rain the entire trip. All we saw was sun and huge fluffy white clouds whipping by in the wind. Maybe they do better reporting inland.
15. Beverages in Mexico are warm, even when cold. Warm beer does not taste good. It requires more lime. Too much lime reaks havoc on your system.
15a. Diet Coke in Mexico is actually called Coke Light. It is NOT the same.
16. Cancun was a great trip! Everyone there was extremely friendly and helpful and I only wish I had more time to experience more of the actual culture and eat at more authentic mexican restaurants!
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How did the drugs work out?
Post a Comment