Saturday, April 5, 2008

The One in Which I Take Drugs

A few weeks ago, I went to my gen. pract. about getting something stronger than OTC's for when my headaches reach the Point of No Return. He graciously offered up some great meds, including a little T3 (codeine). He actually wanted to combine the two but I resisted a bit, seeing as I don't know how the codeine will affect me and I am always with the kids when the headaches seem to strike. Coincidence? I think not. But these aren't the drugs I am referring to right now...

While I was there I mentioned that I was taking a trip soon and that I am a very 'anxious' flyer. I believe I used the words 'white knuckler, needs to be passed out or drunk to get on the plane', etc. I asked him if he could prescribe a little something to "help me relax." He looked at me with confusion and asked 'Isn't going to Cancun relaxing enough?' The desperation in my voice must have been convincing (tho how bad did I look... asking for addictive painkillers and anti-anxiety meds...not one of my better days). As he handed me the script for the Ativan, he suggested I take one as a trial before leaving - just to see how it would affect me. Time's a wastin, so I took one tonight. I don't feel much different. Maybe a little slower but I can bet if you told me you were taking me to the airport right now, I'd still jump out of my skin and cry for my Mommy. The last time I flew was the SuperBowl. I was 7 mo. pregnant with Emma, which means no Happy Hour in the airport before boarding. That was over 3 years ago. Stay tuned for updates...

No comments: