Tonight should have been an easy night. It should have been taco night... the boys should have gotten haircuts at their 7pm appointments... it should have been relaxing as Emma didn't nap (read: early to bed) and I had October Road waiting for me on DVR. But for all the things it SHOULD have been, it was the exact opposite. Instead it was messy - the head truly is a bleeder - frazzled and traumatic. A boy (my boy) that started out having fun with his friends ended up in the ER after he tripped pushing a truck along the sidewalk. Since he doesn't know exactly what happened, I'm guessing his face met up with the truck before the sidewalk, producing a not so bad divit in his forehead that required 2 stitches, and a gaping u-shaped flap just under his right nostril that required 3 and nearly had me passed out on my kitchen floor. This is where I remind you that I once had dreams of becoming a pediatric nurse... if only there wasn't all that blood and gore and stuff.
Back to the boy... Round 1 wasn't pretty. Him screaming as he ran around the lawn like a lunatic. Then trying to find the source of the blood only to realize there were 2 sources. A quick call to the peds office and the words ER and Plastics, and we were on our way (thanks to the tag team of the Dalys, Aunt Janet and Grandmom for handling the girl). I almost forgot the best part... before realizing the need for medical attention and while still bleeding profusely, the boy kept sobbing 'I'm dying! I'm going to die! Mommy, I love you - I'm dying!' Riiiiipppppp went my heart.
Round 2 was much better. Our hospital added a new ER - very nice! We got speedy service back to a room (kid-vantage) and the boy was the calmest I have ever seen him. Seeing as how a paper cut has provoked his cries of imminent death (tho the I love you part was a new one this time), I figured we were in for some serious drama with the impending stitches. But Dr. Kristen kept that boy calm and as he sat with numbing gel on his boo-boo's, he played 'Eye Spy' with daddy, cruised the hall a bit and had a few snacks in bed. When he was numb enough for the shots of novacaine, the child didn't flinch. A nurse held his head and 3 sets of eyes stared as the smallest of needles and thread made my boy whole again. The 4th pr of eyes (mine) was everywhere but on the child so as not to cause a scene by passing out.
Between the sutures and the roadrash, the boy is a sight. But he looks tough. Daddy says he looks like a hockey player. We are both extremely proud of him for doing so well and I have a feeling that will be used to his advantage and the toy store is in my very near future. No problem, I say. The kid deserves it!
This is the 'before' shot... lying in the ER with a topical gel to numb the areas before the novacaine shots.

This is the 'after' shot (don't you dare make fun of the barrette!) - and now he has a runny nose, eww!

1 comment:
What a trooper! Just think in a few years the girls at school will think he's hot stuff with his rough and tough scars.
Post a Comment