Wednesday, March 19, 2008

She got my Hair, Part I

I can almost guarantee there will be parts II, III, etc in the near future.

Emma did indeed inherit my bad hair. Thin, not abundant and straighter than the edge of a ruler. Did I mention thin? For a while, the curling iron did the trick - a thick barrel produced large curls along her neckline, giving her a little bit of body and just the right amount of cuteness, if you ask me. But after the Christmas Eve Burn of '07, it's understandable that she won't let me come within 10 feet of her with a hot iron. With various Holidays and events approaching, including her first dance recital in June, I've had to work on alternate plans. It's a good thing I started early.

Here is our first attempt - curlers. They were good enough for me when my mom would set my hair and make me sleep in them so why not give them a shot? Here's 2 attempts of her looking like she's 80. I decided not to take the 'after' picture as it wasn't pretty and she had a crease halfway around her head. This is why I am not a hair stylist.

Then we moved into the 21st Century and tried Velcro rollers. Much more fun and user-friendly, as long as I remember to be gentle and patient while removing them so as not to cause a huge hairball atop her sensitive scalp. Hair really does knot easily!


The end result was way better than that produced by the sponge rollers, tho I still need much practice. It gives her a good 2+ days worth of body and she absolutely loves when I roll her hair.

As quoted by Byron... She looks like my Aunt Carole! I take that as a compliment because I personally think Aunt Carole has fabulous hair... thick and full of body. Everything my hair has lacked since conception!

No comments: